Writing task for my Master Degree:


Carolyn Ellis: Auto ethnography, Revision (2009):










I have taken the first paragraph of Ellis book 'Revise' to look and and relate to my own practice and project. While looking at the quote ' "Take your time," And I do, enjoying the motions of swinging back and forth'. I notice the similarities of this and the walking exercises that I have been doing lately, taking the time to be mindful of my body and actions and slowing down my mind to notice my surroundings and ground myself. I think that I relate to the last sentence of this paragraph the most. 'My goal was to show how, as we pass through different stages of life, the meanings of previous experiences move, change and call for revision.' I can immediately see the connections, my current line of enquiry and exploration is about my journey coming to Falmouth from Nottingham and moving away for the first time, I am passing through a new stage of my life and coming to terms with what that means to me. 'The meanings of previous experiences move, change, and call for revision.' This links directly to my work, I often explore themes of relationships, family and memories and work from my lived experiences. One of my previous projects explored the journey that I took working through a period of chronic sickness and depression looking back on and 'revising' my feelings, experience and the effort and work I had to do to get through it and get better. I think that Auto ethnography will play a role during these early stages of my work and project while I situate myself within my own practice. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog